Monday, July 22, 2024
HomeEditors PicksIdol SA suspends Somizi amid Mohale abuse claims

Idol SA suspends Somizi amid Mohale abuse claims

Several media brands including the SABC and Metro FM have indefinitely cut ties with media personality Somizi Mhlongo after "persistent" abuse claims by his estranged husband Mohale triggered public outrage and boycott threats. Per this article, M-Net is the latest employer to suspend his services as Idols SA judge.

In yet another highly publicised celebrity domestic abuse/cheating scandal mimicking Katlego Maboe’s fall from grace, M-Net confirmed it has indefinitely cut ties with Idols SA judge Somizi after abuse claims made by his estranged husband Mohale Motaung – in an explosive, leaked interview with ‘Living With Somizi‘ producer – triggered public outrage

In a statement sent to NOWinSA on Friday, M-Net said it has reached a mutual agreement with the ‘Idols South Africa‘ judge to take some time off to deal with his personal circumstances until this matter has been resolved.  

“Viewers will still see Mr Mhlongo on their screens until Sunday, 22 August 2021, as the audition shows for Idols SA were pre-recorded,” the entertainment company said in a statement.

Somizi and Mohale’s televised Showmax wedding special was a runaway success.

Earlier on the day, the former ‘Sarafina’ star issued an official statement in which he “vehemently” denied he had been abusive or knowingly emotionally abusive towards Mohale.

“What I am going to state, however, is that we had one altercation in which I had to defend myself and both of us were physically hurt by the other. I am at this stage not at liberty to dive deeper into the details but can state that he is not a victim in this situation,” read part of the statement,” Somizi’s statement read in part.

M-Net’s statement came a day after the SABC announced Metro FM management has agreed to Somizi’s request to take some time off from his radio hosting duties to sort out his personal issues.

Meanwhile, Mohale remains persistent with his claims that he suffered abuse – both physical and psychological – in the hands of Somizi, as per his statement below, which he issued on Saturday morning (August 7).

However, he has expressed his displeasure with the leaking of the audio conversation between him and one of the ‘Living With Somizi‘ producers, which he said was very privileged information “not meant to be used for financial gain”.

Tankiso Komane
Tankiso Komane
A Tshwane University of Technology journalism graduate, Tankiso Komane has a vast experience in print & broadcast media business and has worked for some of the country’s biggest daily newspapers, including The Sowetan, The Citizen, The Times, and The New Age. Through her varied work as a journalist, notably as a copywriter for SABC1 (On-Air promotions) and as a publicist for Onyx Communications, she has developed an in-depth understanding of the nature of the media business and how to use it for the purpose of exposure. Her expertise in journalism across various disciplines, coupled with a good reputation, has laid the foundation of a new kind "trust in Journalism" as the media ecosystem continues to digitally evolve.
RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments