The much-anticipated fifth instalment of the Royalty Soapie Awards (RSA), which took place against a backdrop of the increasingly frustrating season of no red-carpet shows, was attended by every big star of SA’s small screens you can think of; from the legendary Vusi Kunene who was deservedly conferred with the best male villain award to the impeccable television villain Jamie Bartlett, ‘Generations The Legacy‘ actress Latoya Makhene, Gomora‘s leading lady Thembi Seete, Nthati Moshesh, Moshidi Motshega, Katlego Danke, and new kids on the block, House of Zwide’s Nefisa Mkhabela and fellow actor Wanda Zuma (who plays the role of Nkosi).
As expected, a roast of local showbiz stars made sure they leave no stone unturned when it came to making a huge a fashion statement. One such bold face is ‘Uzalo‘ actress Nyalleng Thibedi, whose meticulously designed long-tail red gown – which perfectly adorned her flawless figure – could have easily earned her the best dressed honour should there be one such; kudos to local designer Mercia Ramaga for such meticulous work and attention to detail.
Royalty Awards founder and actress Winnie Ntshaba stepped out in two outfits on the night; starting with over-the-top knee-length yet classy floral slit dress for the red carpet, which screamed ‘in charge’. And so did her second body hugging red number – both designed by Quiteria Atelier, who clearly was intent on showing the difference between a true boss babe and basic babe.
As for the night’s top winners? Chances are – if you do follow Mzansi’s soapie world faithfully – you might be not be surprised at all by this year’s list of honorarees, case in point being ‘DiepCity‘, which made an impressive splash from the minute it launched in December 2020.
The Mzansi Magic drama took home 7 awards in total, including best directing team, outstanding casting, outstanding daily TV drama, as well viewer’s choice awards for best actor and actress for Chrispen Nyathi and Lebohang Mpyana respectively.
Other highlights for the nights include the achievement honour for the legendary Lillian Dube, and best male and female villains for Vusi Kunene as Jack Mabaso (‘Generations: The Legacy’) and Jessica Nkosi as Thando Sebata in The Queen.
Fifth Royalty Soapie Awards; full winners list
- Outstanding Art Direction: Binnerlanders
- Outstanding Directing Twam: DiepCity
- Outstanding Editing Team: The Queen
- Outstanding Lighting Direction: uBettina Wethu
- Outstanding Casting: DiepCity
- Outstanding Sound Mixing & Editing: Getroud met Rugby
- Outstanding Cinematography: Imbewu
- Outstanding Makeup & Hairstyling: Gomora (Season 2)
- Outstanding Wardrope: The Estate
- Outstanding Writing Team: The Estate
- Outstanding Supporting Actor: Emmanuel Castis as Sergio de Freitas in Binnelanders
- Outstanding Supporting Actress: Elizabeth Serunye as Principal in Skeem Saam
- Outstanding Screen Couple: Zolisa Xaluva and Thembi Seete as Melusi Dlamini and Gladys Dlamini in Gomora Season 2
- Outstanding Newcomer: Nompumelelo Vilakazi as Sne Gwala in DiepCity
- Outstanding Young Performer: Ditebogo Ledwaba as Mbali in Generations: The Legacy
- Outstanding Lead Actor: Aubrey Poo as Castro Kamanga in The Estate
- Outstanding Lead Actress: Lusanda Mbane as Boniswa Langa in Scandal
- Outstanding Male Villain: Vusi Kunene as Jack Mabaso in Generations: The Legacy
- Outstanding Female Villain: Jessica Nkosi as Thando Sebata in The Queen
- Outstanding Daily TV Drama: DiepCity
- Viewer’s Choice – Most Popular Show: Skeem Saam
- Viewer’s Choice – Best Actor: Chrispen Nyathi as Charleston Ncube in DiepCity
- Viewer’s Choice – Best Actress: Lebohang Mpyana as Khelina Maponya in DiepCity
- Background Actor: Themba Sibanyoni as Sanger in Diepcity
- Social Cohesion Recognition Award: Suidooster